Thursday, May 26, 2011

Upcycled Gift Boxes







 I was breaking down boxes last week for the recycling bin when I thought it would be nice to use boxes I would normally put in the trash to upcycle into gift boxes. I made 4 pillow boxes from 2 boxes of cereal, left over scrapbook paper, and ribbon. (I didn't purchase anything) This is a great finish to your handmade gifts and eco-friendly way to add that finishing touch to a gift.  You can make them as elaborate or as plain as you want. 

Materials needed for this Project.
*Boxes
*scissors (not your good Pair)
*scrap 2 x 12 strip of scrapbook paper (you can make 6 strips from one page, Perfect when your scrapbooking stores have paper marked down to 5 for $1)
*Other emblishments that you choose.
*Glue (your choice, elmers, rubber cement or a glue stick)

1. Trace your pattern on the outside of your box, Leave the brown on the inside. I found my pattern HERE. Size your pattern to meet your needs. I cut one of the folded notches out and just fliped it around 4 times to make my notches. You could also print 2 patterns one for the outside and one for the insides.  There are hundreds of different kinds of boxes to choose from.  Pillow boxes are the easiest I THINK.
My Boxes are about 4 1/2 x 6

2. Cut out your pattern, and score your folding marks. I scored mine by pressing hard when tracing, and backing my box with a thick cardboard. It really made scoring super easy.

3. Glue down the flap. I set a heavy object on top of it while I traced and trimmed the other boxes.

4. Fold down your edges. I used my 1" circle punch to make the notches at the end but you can just trace and trim those notches if you don't have a circle punch.
All that is left is to decorate. You can make you can make your packaging as fancy or as understated as you want.

Again you can use cardsstock and make a fancy box.  I just thought it would be great to do one from products you would normally put in the trash.  Again my price for this craft was ZERO.


Oriental Trading Company Has some really inexpensive box templates.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment