Saturday, October 23, 2010

Twilight Skirt

For Halloween this year I wanted to make my daughter a poodle skirt.  Then I had the idea....Wouldn't it be neat to do a twilight skirt....In a poodle skirt way.

You will need felt  I choose to use this black sparky felt.  If you are making this for a kid size 7 or below...1 yard is great.....for an adult size....get 2 yards.....Does it dazzle you????


You need a wide black waist band.  I used a 3 inch waist band...The person I made this for wore a a size 12.  If you are any larger and you could find it....It wouldn't hurt to find a wide band....Like a 5 inch.....But it is not necessary.

You will also need matching thread
Red Ribbon 1inch wide is what I used.... and white felt for the chess piece.  If you wanted to do the apple and flower you could do that as well.    

To get stated lay the felt out as a square...The sparkly side of the felt is facing down on the floor...Fold the top left corner down to the bottom right corner...

  


I then took my length measurements and used a tied a piece of  FABRIC CHALK and the other side to the center line....and made a circle with the string.  I added the painters tape as a guide line and so you can see my center point....


I then cut out my skirt...

I then foled the skirt in half and cut the waist out of the top....point....about 1-3 inches more....so you can have those waves....No more than 3inches more than your waist size....If you are a large woman....make your length longer....as your skirt will have more of a V shaped waist...

You will now need to sew your waist band together.  I sewed it twice.  I had black thread but I did it with white so you can see....I later used a black sharpie to fill it in and it wasn't noticeable.



this last photo is just to give you a visual before I cut the top of the skirt...

I then pinned and attached the waist band to the skirt.....I WISH I would have attached the red ribbon in this stage.....but I didn't soo if you would like to it would be a great idea...


I then attached the Ribbon....when I unrolled the ribbon from the spool I loved the natural look of it....I couldn't have planned it any better so I just kinda of placed it along the skirt...however it fell....moving it a little up or down...



 I then cut out my chess piece....


I then used the ribbon and placed it around the chess piece....
The chess piece is the poodle.....for the poodle skirt.  



I then pined the ribbon and the chess piece down....The top of the ribbon is tucked in the top left of the waist band and then sewn in.  The bottom of the ribbon is sewn in to the back of the waist band.  I tried to sew the ribbon to the skirt in a test square and I hated it......I decided to use FELT glue and attach the ribbon in the flat places and allow it to curl naturally....as I could.  I even stitched some of the pieces to make sure they would stay put.  My stitches were not at all noticeable.  I don't have a photo of the finished skirt. (was promised a photo.....I wasn't sure If I would get one....so I am going to post incase someone needs a costume idea)  When someone got wind of what i was doing........Well it was gone really fast....It barely had time for the glue to dry....the young lady said she is wearing an Edward shirt and a lace necklace....and it is her costume...

I was so glad I didn't try to put the embellishments on before sewing....doing that after sewing was AWESOME  I knew where to put things according to how the skirt flowed....

THIS WAS SUPER EASY....TOOK ME ABOUT 2 hours to make...
The felt was about $13 at JoAnns (use a coupon for 40%)
Waist band is $5.99 a yard.
Ribbon was $1.99
Thread I had....
Felt for the chess piece was .20 cents....I had plenty left...

There are lots of ladies on ETSY who sell Poodle skirts for $19.99.  If I were you....and it is the last min....ask the lady to make you a blank black one.....with no poodle...It would be super fast to assemble that way....JUST AN IDEA..

Also...If you like JACOB....you could do a wolf poodle skirt...it would be super cute....I would do it....IF SOMEONE WANTED ONE.....HINT....... HINT....

If you make this LET ME KNOW.  I have a flicker group for Vampire Craftin and I would love to see your items on it....even if it is not ones I have featured.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment