Monday, October 4, 2010

Altered Jar Craft


My husband has a sweet tooth.  He loves hard candies the most. (In this Jar RootBeer Hard Candies)  Most of his favorite candies come in a bag and they are not individually wrapped.  His only option is to put them in a zip-lock bag, because a candy dish on his desk isn't going to happen.

So I came up with a solution.  I altered a jar with chalk board paint to make a jar for candy.  I also made one  to store loose tea.

This is what you will need.
*A mason jar with lid, or a Jar that has been sterilized.  (remove the label and any leftover residue)
*Chalkboard paint. (I found a small tube in the acrylic paint section at walmart it was only $1.47)
*blue painters tape
*a sponge brush

Here is how you do it.
1. Clean your jar.
2. Tape off the section where you want the label to go.
3.  Apply the chalkboard paint,  I use one stroke at a time and let it dry.  If you don't just do one stroke at a time with the 2nd stroke you will wipe off the paint. (it annoyed me at 1st)  Repeat this step ever hour.  It took several coats.  This was a counter top project.  Overall it wasn't hard at all....It just took a long time for each layer to dry before I applied another.

I use this for Tea and Candy.  BUT this would make an awesome gift.  You could write your message on the Jar.  ie....Happy Birthday, Get Well Soon, Congrats, and I don't think men would mind receiving it.

For Halloween it would be neat for a spooky label....if you can find candy eyeballs make a jar of eyeballs.....label your jars so that they to resemble a Witches potion ingrediants. (eye of newt, mom's poison) Also it is the easiest recycling or repurpose craft EVER.

It is also great for the "gift in a jar" crafts, cookies, soups and more.

The chalkboard is more about decor.  A plain empty jar is boring.  I have chalk but if you can't find one it can be a pain.  I have put this in the dishwasher 3 times and the chalkboard label is still holding strong  It is really fun.  If you make one please post on our Flicker page or post a link to your blog with the project.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment